Did you know that your Internet Explorer is out of date?To get the best possible experience using our website we recommend that you upgrade to a newer version or download another web browser.
A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below. Just click on the icons to get to the download page.
Your browser will need to close to complete the installation and you will need to manually reload the site when finished
Other similar job titles you may be intertested in include:
There are no Open Vacancies that Match your Search
Please view a sample career profile in the box below
or click here to browse all open vacancies
Upstream Process Career Profile
Upstream ProcessingUpstream processing is essentially the stage of the process where the biotech product (proteins) are produced. This stage is composed of the bioreactor (the vessel used) and the cells themselves. Allied to this is the sterile media which contains the food which bacteria will require for the process. Depending on the product the bacteria may require feeding after they have been inoculated into the broth media. Many in the area come from strong academic backgrounds, such as an MSc or PhD.
Key Responsibilities of the Upstream Processing
- Participate in facility and process design of a multi-product biopharmaceutical manufacturing platform.
- Play a role in commissioning and start-up of the biotech facility.
- Play a role in developing and predicting processing strategies and throughputs for the various products for the site biotech business.
- Provide day-to-day bioprocess engineering support to downstream manufacturing operations.
- Initiate facility and equipment upgrades to improve plant productivity and throughput.
Facilitate the introduction of new products with associated new equipment and ensure the bioprocessing at the site stays current with emerging processing and equipment trends.
Required Qualifications & Experience
- A degree-level qualification in Biochemical/Chemical Engineering or a related discipline.
- Knowledge of the downstream biopharmaceutical unit operations involved with bioreactor design and control, SIP/CIP, filtration etc.
- Experience in either design or commissioning of a mammalian cell-based biopharmaceutical manufacturing plant.
Operations experience in purification or related bioprocess manufacturing experience in an established biotech production operation.
Biopharmaceutical Medical Affairs Pharmaceutical Senior Scientist Dublin West IT Analyst Supply Chain Dublin North Limerick Regulatory Affairs Research and Development Scientist Biotechnologist Marketing Executive Supply Chain Manager Analytical Group Leader Formulation Chemist Hospital Sales Rep QA Analyst Life Science Process Engineer Project Engineer Chemist Engineering Principal Scientist Cork Validation Scientist Scientific Quality Manager Validation Engineer Chemistry R & D Technician QA Specialist Validation Coordinator Microbiology PhD Product Manager Validation Specialist Contract Process Development Engineer Formulation Scientist Senior Research and Development Scientist Kildare Life Science Medical Device Sligo Sales Executive Project Lead Project Manager Principal Research Scientist Dublin EHS Engineer QA Executive Manufacturing Coordinator QA Supervisor New Product Development Engineer Clinical Research Sales Specialist Offaly Engineering Automation Engineer Production Supervisor QA Engineer Galway Dublin South Medical Advisor Equipment Engineer QA Manager Quality Assurance Research Scientist Research and Development BD Manager NPD Technologist Manufacturing Executive QC Analyst Food Scientist Analytical Chemist Supply Chain Contract EHS Specialist Technical Project Manager Qualified Person Biotechnology